"Once we clearly acknowledge the soul, we can learn to hear it's cries. - Dallas Willard, Renovation Of The Heart."

It takes courage to pursue our dreams. It takes time and patience to unearth buried treasure. But I believe with all my heart that we must do both.

11.27.2009

Thanks

Good morning, I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Ours was really enjoyable. This year was more relaxed for me. I think as the years go by, I am not as anxious about stuff. About the house being perfect, about the decorations being perfect, about anything being perfect. This is not a resignation that it won't be so (which it won't) but a relaxing and an intention of enjoying the process. I think also, it is that I am internalizing the fact that I do not have to be perfect, and I am okay with that. Actually, I am thrilled at the fact. I also did something different this year, I sauteed the sage sausage and onions for the stuffing and other dished the night before. I cooked the sweet potatoes the night before. Just having those few things done in advanced of the morning rush made it so much easier. I am sure there are many that do that, I never had. Wonder why?

I wanted to leave you with a prayer from Walter Brueggemann we prayed before we sat down to enjoy each other and our wonderful scrumptious too much meal.

We are second and you are first

Before our well-being, there was your graciousness,
before our delight, there was your generosity,
before our joy, there was your good will.

We are second and you are first.
You are there initially with your graciousness, your generosity,
your good will -
and we receive from your inscrutable goodness grace upon grace,
gift upon gift, life upon life
because you are there at the beginning,
at all our beginnings.

For a quick glimpse, we move out beyond our competence,
our productivity, our self-sufficiency
in our new freedom what we glimpse is you
outpouring yourself unreservedly in the midst of our hurt
and toward our hopes.
You are there in the splendor of your self-giving.

So we speak our timid, trembling praise back to you,
timid because we are no match for your goodness,
trembling because our praise means turning our life to you,
and we do not turn loose easily.
But we do turn loose to you,
source and goal of our very life.

Our gratitude arises out of the dailiness of our well-being,
of meals regularly before us, of folks regularly caring for us,
of homes regularly warm and safe, of sleep regularly refreshing,
of new days regularly given against the darkness,
of work regularly filling our days with order and dignity.
And in our taken-for-granted regularity,
we discern your abiding and fidelity that holds our worlds
toward well-being.

Our gratitude wells up in the midst of such regularity -
new words spoken, new children born,
new vistas opened, new risks taken,
new words uttered that heal.
We dare confess that in these startling break points,
we glimpse your powerful care
which runs beyond our capacity to manage
and beyond our exhausted capacity to cope.
You...after all our best efforts,
it is you, you who hold and you who break.
And we are grateful. Amen

Walter Brueggemann
Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth

Blessings!

6 comments:

Brandi said...

hugs!!!! glad you had a good thanksgiving .. me too, it was nice just to relax with family! Hubby and I snuck out about 5am this morning for a few things. Came home today and decorated for CHRISTmas ... tree and all.

Lovin your journals!!

ps... i fixed my comments :)

Sandra Hall said...

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving! That prayer was mighty powerful and true! I've just caught up on your last post too, awesome pages Mary, particularly the Let your light shine and I also love the "Not Fine" one as well... very perceptive.
x x

The Charm House said...

So Totally Agree with your post!! I have started cooking things the day before also! I also have found myself just putting "things" out in places that make no sense just so that I can see and enjoy them better! Life gets so funny the older we get! I am giving up Vintage Village so that I can be more free for the weddings! I have been totally overwhelmed the last couple of months, ignoring things that are important to me! Life's toooo short not to enjoy every moment God gives to us!
Love you and miss you!
Yvette

Debbie said...

What an inspiring prayer. Thank you for sharing. I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!

Poetic Artist said...

I am glad you had a relaxing and wonderful Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing the prayer.
Luv,
Katelen

Unknown said...

It would have been grand if we were all together for Thanksgiving, but I want you to know my heart thought of you, Greg and the kids during our dinner..you are never far from my thoughts, prayers and dreams!!! love you