"Once we clearly acknowledge the soul, we can learn to hear it's cries. - Dallas Willard, Renovation Of The Heart."

It takes courage to pursue our dreams. It takes time and patience to unearth buried treasure. But I believe with all my heart that we must do both.

11.30.2009

Advent - week 1


"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."
(John 1:1-5)

"The Christian life is the practice of living in what God has done and is doing." (Eugene Peterson)

Advent is the season that looks forward to Christ's birth, the event that brings about the "new creation" of a people redeemed by God. Christmas celebrates Christ's Incarnation and Epiphany his "manifestation" to the whole world.

In looking forward to celebrating Christmas I will post a daily Advent reading.
My prayer is that we all will take the time to slow down our fast pace a bit and
turn our focus to the One we celebrate.

As we begin this I wanted to share an Advent Prayer by Henri Nouwen

Lord Jesus,
Master of both the light and the darkness, send your Holy Spirit upon our preparations for Christmas.
We who have so much to do, seek quiet spaces to hear your voice each day.
We who are anxious over many things look forward to your coming among us.
We who are blessed in so many ways long for the complete joy of your kingdom.
We whose hearts are heavy, seek the joy of your presence.
We are your people, walking in darkness, yet seeking light.
To you, we say, Come Lord Jesus.....
Amen.


Today's Advent reading:
Psalm 122, Isaiah 2v1-5, Matthew 8v5-13

Blessings

15 comments:

Anita said...

Very nice reminder. This morning as I was waking I was praying for the time with Him. That my mind would not race into my busy day and that I could hear from him through the reading of the word. It didn't happen but your post encouraged me to try again....

Art by Darla Kay said...

Beautiful....thank you Mary!!

Unknown said...

I love coming here Mar your words touch my heart each time I do as well as your awesome art..so bright and beautiful just like you!!! hugs..

Anonymous said...

Mary thank you for such a beautiful post! I will be revisting this post again and again! blessings and hugs!

Anonymous said...

thank you so much, mary!!!

Jane Farr said...

Amen! and thank you Mary!!

lori vliegen said...

beautiful post, beautiful prayer.....beautiful YOU! thank you, mary!! :))

Poetic Artist said...

My Dear Mary,
Thank you for posting. I hope you have a wonderful week.
Luv,
Katelen

Dena E's Blog said...

Hello Mary,,thinkin about ya and just poppin in to say,,HEY,,,the prayer was a nice comfy one for my spirit, thanks for sharing it..
Hugs Dena

Dena E's Blog said...

OMG forgot to say,,,Love the Designs,I was looking at them again and realized I hadn't told you they're delightful!!!
More Hugs Dena

Mollye said...

Hi Mary It makes me so happy when I see that you have dropped by to visit. I love hearing from you and seeing what art you've created. Advent readings are beautiful and what a beautiful time of the year to anticipate with joy and to make ready for Christ. Oh and the picture you saw came from the internet and was found by simply googling pink images. If you double click on it, I think it will take you to the source. Hugs, Mollye

Just Be Real said...

Very attractive. Your home must even smell Christmasy even, I bet. Blessings....

Bren Graham Thebeau said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bren Graham Thebeau said...

This is such a vivid joy underlying your art, it makes me smile when I look at it, especially appreciate the details as I view it in it's larger format.

TonyaA said...

Great work!
Blessings, peace, and love to you,
~Tonya