"Once we clearly acknowledge the soul, we can learn to hear it's cries. - Dallas Willard, Renovation Of The Heart."

It takes courage to pursue our dreams. It takes time and patience to unearth buried treasure. But I believe with all my heart that we must do both.

3.11.2012

best ever



this was the best chicken soup i have ever had.

no kidding!

made me feel all warm and cozy inside, and loved.

here's the recipe, go make it.



Chicken Noodle Soup


16 cups canned chicken broth (low-salt if you prefer)
1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces


1/2 cup chopped onion
2 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
(we used three of each)


2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
8 oz. dried wide egg noodles
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley


Combine chicken broth and chicken in heavy large pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover partially and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken to large bowl. Cool chicken and broth slightly. Discard skin and bones from chicken. Cut chicken meat into bite-size pieces and reserve. Spoon fat off top of chicken broth.


Return broth to simmer. Add onion, carrots and celery. Simmer until vegetables soften, about 8 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover chicken meat and broth separately and refrigerate. Bring broth to boil before continuing.)


Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and saute until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Add mushrooms to broth; stir in noodles, parsley and reserved chicken. Simmer until noodles are tender, about 5 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.


serves 12

Yum, Yum, Yum!!

13 comments:

Tracy said...

Mary, I'm really glad you posted the recipe...I have tried many a chicken noodle soup recipes and have not found one I like...that and a great recipe for chicken pot pie...they both elude me so now I have one to try!

katie purcell said...

You forgot the MAIN ingredient. Your husband's love and servant heart to you.
Sorry you missed your hair appointment. Do you want me to bring my pinking shears and a can of purple spray paint?
Hope you are feeling better sweet Mary.
xxoo

Nancy said...

Well Greg outdid himself on this soup....Thanks for the receipt...I will definitely be trying this one out as Henry loves chicken noodle soup....

How are you today? I hope much better...

Hugs sweet friend,
Nanie

jgr said...

Oh it looks yummy! Thank you for the recipe, too. I hope you're feeling better on such a beautiful day.

S. Etole said...

This sounds delicious and the love an added bonus. Hope you are much better!

DJ said...

Like I said...Some folk are just BLESSED !!! :-)
Hope you're feeling better; prayers going up for you.
Love & Laughter,
DJ

espenavarro said...

La sopa de pollo y de tantas estupendas verduras levanta el ánimo de cualquiera, jejeje
besos

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

I am with you, Mary. As my bronchitis/flu has now traveled to my head and my red nose, I have only wanted soup. I had two bowls yesterday, and two more today. Beef with rice and vegetables that my neighbor brought over. Wonderful! Soup is good food. Xox. Feel better tomorrow, okay? I am rooting for you!

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Alright, that is one fine looking pot of soup and your man gets full props for making it for you while you were sick. I'll be trying out this soup, now if I could only convince my hubby to do the work :-)

rachel awes said...

your soup looks downright artful!
+ so sorry to hear you've been sick! me too, dearheart, me too!
big hugs + empathy!!! OOOOXXOO

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh this is great and timely..I will have to make it for my daughter-in-law while she recovers.

I hope you are feeling better!

Oh can I pin this? I want to ask before I put it on my food board on Pinterst.

misty said...

Thanks for sharing! that looks delicious!

Hindsfeet said...

Comfort Post! : )

thanks, Mary...so very sweet, it's on the menu for this week! see what you started! : )

big big blessings for you,
love,
Liz