"Once we clearly acknowledge the soul, we can learn to hear it's cries. - Dallas Willard, Renovation Of The Heart."

It takes courage to pursue our dreams. It takes time and patience to unearth buried treasure. But I believe with all my heart that we must do both.

2.22.2011

A few new journal pages









Greg and I visited Meg last weekend. We visited a few areas she has not been to yet.  I know she loves college and is doing great, but each times she leaves here after a visit, or we leave her there, my heart catches a bit...

I brought along two of my journals, one mostly completed, one in the process. It was fun to look back over the older one. I even doodled some and wrote more.  That's one of the neat things about visual journals, they are never really finished...like us.

Yesterday I spent a good part of the day painting backgrounds.  I love to have them prepared and ready to be journaled on.

I also realized something else. I don't really have a one "style" when I do these.  Some are busier than others. I love the "graffiti" looking ones, but they leave less room to write, and sometimes I have more to say.  I used to worry about that...not having one particular style...getting better about that...

Oh, I have one watch I wear when I paint because I got paint on it.  Last night I painted the whole dagone thing...it's kind of cool if you like that sort of thing, and I do. I'll take a picture later.

18 comments:

Nancy said...

Mar, these are awesome and I think they are some of my favorite you have done......They do have a different look and I like them very much.....Who says we have to have a certain look.....aren't we suppose to broaden our horizon? You go girl.....love um love um.......

So glad your visit to see Meg was good. It is hard when a Mom has to leave her cub even when they are grown....I feel that way every time I leave Raleigh......and look how old mine are........

What's the progress on the barn?

Hugs and blessings sweet friend

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

great pages! Funny I find a connecting link to the pages you do. Sure they have varying looks, but there is still a Mary feel to them, maybe it's that touch of black that you weave into them, or the vibrant use of colour, or the tone of the images, they all speak Mary to me.

Mary said...

Bren, that's good for me to hear...thank you!

Martha Lever said...

Great pages, Mar! Maybe you don't think you have a style but I think that you do. These are all so colorful and wonderful and it's is YOUR style---and it's fabulous.

Megan Hoover said...

Mary, you should feel total freedom with your journals -- whatever mood you're in or whatever you've got going on in your life can come through your journals. It's your personal playground and your Mary stamp will always be on each page. Happy painting!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

These are beautiful...I would so love to just watch you in your studio...what inspiration!

jgr said...

Mary these pages are great! I always love your bright colors and use of black.

Jo Reimer said...

If someone lined up a dozen visual journal spreads, including yours, and asked me to choose yours I could do that in a heartbeat. You have a style that's yours alone; it will continue to evolve as you mature in your artmaking but I'll bet your visual voice will always have the same look about it. As you work from Your heart and mind the the art comes out through Your hands. The authentic artist stays true to herself. For you it's boldness, in color and design. Keep it up.

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

so lovely to peek into your journal pages and your heart. xoRobin

Unknown said...

Awesome pages Mary! I'm so inspried by your work.

The Crafts House said...

all that colour!! it's made my grey day brighter..love your style
sandra

Shelley Malone said...

Oh Mary, you've outdone yourself!!! That first one is my favourite but they're all really and truly amazing. : )

Jennifer Richardson said...

I so understand the heart-catching thing;
mine does the same with my college kids.
LOVE your journal pages!
I like that you mix it up and don't get
pigeon-holed into a certain category.
You have your own style, all right.
It's VERY Mary!
It just isn't a standard genre.
You're over that:)
Cheering you on,
Jen

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Beaurtiful pages and I really like your use of black....when you use it, black becomes a primary color!!!

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

I definitely think you have your own Style! It's ever-growing perhaps, but I can see YOU in everything you do...even when you send a sweet Thank You card and postcards...you made me melt. Thank YOU, Mary. You are such a sweet and kind friend...and an amazing artist that inspires me no end. (Do I have a "style" yet, Mary??)

S. Etole said...

The colors in the first one really catch my eye.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing these pages, they always help to inspire me. I took my journal camping with me and believe it or not, my adult NEPHEW actually showed an interest in starting a visual journal..yay!

Erin Butson said...

I love seeing your journals, Mary. they really make me want to paint and paint and paint some more. love your freedom and creativity and I love that you are always experimenting, growing, learning.