"Once we clearly acknowledge the soul, we can learn to hear it's cries. - Dallas Willard, Renovation Of The Heart."

It takes courage to pursue our dreams. It takes time and patience to unearth buried treasure. But I believe with all my heart that we must do both.

12.09.2010

Second Thursday Advent Reading




Advent Reading

Psalm 145:1-13; Isaiah 41:13-20; Matthew 11:7-15

It is good to humbly realize that we are all of us poor, needy and parched with thirst. Some of us are experiencing the reality of these in a very real physical way.  These are hard times for many of us. But even those who have an abundance of material blessings experience the ache of "Is this all there is?" It might take them longer to realize it because they are numb to the ache.  The ache can be masked for a very long time with things.  

From the outside in, my life looked perfect, but in the quiet of my heart  I knew not all was as it should be.  

If we take a close enough look, we can see that things, people, or whatever we choose to chase the ache away does not do it completely. You see, we are created for a different kind of world and a different kind of life. We are created to have fellowship, a relationship with our creator and with each other. The world is not now as it should be.  As good as it can be, (and it can be really good at times) it is not as good as it was meant to be. There is a scripture that God keeps bringing back to my heart again and again.

"My people are broken - shattered! And they put on band-aids, saying, "it's not so bad, you'll be just fine." But things are not just fine!

Jeremiah 6:24, The Message 

Christ is the life-giving water we so desperately need for the parched and dry deserts of our hearts and souls. The kind of life we are made for.

Father open our eyes and our hearts to our poverty. Help us to stop filling the ache to ease the pain which prevents us from asking the question, " Is this all there is?" Help us to stop and look at what we do to mask the ache.  Help us to turn to you to receive the thirst quenching water that only you can give.

Amen

8 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Beautifully said Mar, everything else can be stripped away but our hearts rest in Him

Anita said...

Food is one way of filling ourselves...I have found that since I have stopped numbing myself with food that I now distract myself with the internet...

Jennifer Richardson said...

Oh isn't this true.
I've spent too much of this
precious life working to mask
the ache.
I want to feel it now
and let it do it's work'
at the same time
I vigorously oppose myself
in that very thing.
Only you, Lord,
can take us there.
Please do:)
-Jennifer

Nancy said...

What a timely word and so important for us to be aware of how we numb ourselves......I am continuing to come to grips with new masks I wear and God in His love is stripping them away....Oh Lord, let us drink from your living water.......

Hugs sweet friend

Hindsfeet said...

As always, Mary, such timely words for me.........

....and I looked up the Isaiah Scripture....also timely, and oh so comforting........

Thanks, Mary....and the very merriest Christmas to you and yours.....

Hindsfeet said...

Hi Mary : )

Just got your note over "at my place" : )

Doing well......I think I really should add one last post to my blog to let people know I am not dead in a ditch...just decided to close the circle with that last post, Lift. Felt like a good place to stop....I had blogged for a year, through four seasons of my life....just sort of felt like I'd said it all, and more would just be more, or that I would just be saying the same thing over and over in different ways, the words themselves diluting themselves, if you know what I mean.

But, yeah, maybe should let people know that instead of just going quiet? Sorry to cause any concern........

....I really am doing well, Mary....my plot has definitely thickened, for the better, sort of a new day over here......

.....but I think that's for another blog, another chapter........starting out on a very new journey.......

I'll be checking in here and there, though, Mary....always love the inspiration of "your place" here......

all the best, Mary.....will always be thankful for your timely entrance into my life.....

Liz

Buffy said...

Beaautifully said and perfect timing. Thanks for posting these,Its nice to start my day on a positive note.

sara said...

That photo is so cute!