"Once we clearly acknowledge the soul, we can learn to hear it's cries. - Dallas Willard, Renovation Of The Heart."

It takes courage to pursue our dreams. It takes time and patience to unearth buried treasure. But I believe with all my heart that we must do both.

12.02.2010

First Thursday of Advent



I was at my grandson's home yesterday.  We baked and decorated cookies. I think this is one of the fattest snowmen I have ever seen!  :)   He did great decorating them, I had to help some with the sprinkling of the colored sugar, he would have dumped the whole bottle on the first cookie. I can't think of a better way to begin the month of December. 

Advent Reading

Isaiah 26:1-6; Matthew 6:25-33; 7:21, 24-27

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life."

Is this really possible?

"There is unbelieving anxiety, and then there is anxiety encountered by faith.  John Henry Newman said of Christian faith, "Ten thousand difficulties do not add up to doubt." We may have great difficulties in understanding how God will keep his promises, but we do not doubt that he will keep his promises.

To be anxious is human.  The question is what we do with our anxieties. The decision is between hanging on to them or handing them over. After listening to the angel, Mary handed over herself, including her anxieties. "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." That is Mary's great fiat - "Let it be." It is not fatalism, but faith. Fatalism is resigning ourselves to the inevitable; faith is entrusting ourselves to the One who is eternally trustworthy, who is worthy of trust.

In the Garden of Gethsemane, the night before he died, Jesus prayed: "Not my will but yours be done." He is not resigned to the Father's will, he embraces the Father's will. Accepting God's way is not a fall-back position for when we can't get our way.

"Let it be to me according to your word." Faith is not blind faith, but trust with eyes wide open.  Faith does not deny the reason for anxiety but rejects the rule of anxiety.

In the "Our Father," Jesus teaches us to pray, "your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven." Slowly, and not without difficulty, we learn to prefer God's will to our own; we learn to want God's will to be done, knowing that he knows us and loves us immeasurable better than we know and love ourselves.


Forgive us, Heavenly Father, for living as though you do not know and do not care, as thought you are not our loving Father.  As you did with Mary, who first received the good news of "Emmanuel, God with us," and handed over her troubled heart to you, so also give us such faith that the constant theme of our lives may be, "Lord, let it be to me according to your word." This we trustingly ask in the name of Jesus Christ, her Lord and ours.

Amen.

Let it be.


from "God with Us"

13 comments:

Nancy said...

I am learning to hand them over and how wonderful when I do.......
Let it Be.....

Love you....

Anita said...

oh wow mary...it just gets better...This has been a very difficult year for us...our construction business is all but folded, ect...the story of so many who are at the forefront of the economic difficulties in our country. Day after day I cry out to the Lord to do this or that...for us... so we can keep our home and continue our comfortable lifestyle. What a great reminder that we are in the hands of the one who knows what is in our best interest and Will do it. I am reminded that Mary lived in a time when a woman would be stoned for turning up pregnant before marriage.

Nancy said...

Mar, I forgot to add....the pictures of Shawn decorating those big fat cookies are so precious.....What a special memory you made yesterday.....
Aren't these some of the most precious things to do.......being a Grandma......

Love you...

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Precious time with your grandson...oh, my!
Thanks for the word....much needed this morning!

Martha Lever said...

Oh Mary he is growing up so quickly and he is so precious! I can wait until Marc is able to decorate something!

ANd me too, Mary, I am always trying to find just that perfect lipstick shade. It really make a difference, doesn't it? My colors have changed too and a little brighter color on the lips brightens the whole face.

This is a good post. Anxiety is something that is a difficult subject and so hard for me to deal with but I do know the Spiritual Truth--God is in change and will work it all out for my good. Now if I could just believe it while I am anxious!!!

S. Etole said...

The best moments one can spend ... with a grandchild.

Kate said...

Thank you, Mary. These are so encouraging every day. And your grandson is a doll!

Jennifer Richardson said...

Oh yes, let it be.
Thank you for this nourishing beauty,
Mary.
Soaking......
-Jennifer

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Now that's what Christmas is all about. He's just so darn cute and he did a great job with that cookie. Can't think of a better thing to do than be with a grandchild :-)

Unknown said...

Just look at Sean he's so intent on creating isn't he? Do I detect another artist in the family? hehehhe!!! I too love these Advent posts..thanks so much for sharing this for learning to give over anxiety when it hits hasn't been easy as you know. I know in my heart that God is in control of everything, not just my head. love you sis.

thekathrynwheel said...

Oh Mary, your grandson is the cutest! Did he eat that enormous snowman when he was done or did Grandma have to help him out?!

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

Oh he is a cutie! What a wonderful tradition to make cookies on the first day of Advent with your grandson. You are one very blessed grandmother Mary!

I miss my grandchildren so much! (and their mommy and daddy of course too)I so wish they didn't live 9 hours away. They were not able to come home at Thanksgiving and this year we will be holding off celebrating Christmas with them when they come the first week of January. I can't wait to see them and give them many many hugs and kisses.

Hugs,
Lee Ann

Lisa said...

That was a good post for me. Some days I feel guilty that I get so stressed about work and it never fails that I end up being stressed over nothing. If I had more faith in those prayers that I say on my way to work, I'd probably be a happier person.
Thank you for the posting